Thursday, April 10, 2014

Scott Miller & The Commonwealth "For Jack Tymon"

When my sister's first son was born (my first nephew), I framed the lyrics to this song for her, and him.

My own son turns 4 today, and I turn to this special little obscurity (at least, I've never had anyone mention the track to me) to think about my boy.

We all wish for amazing things for our kids---great achievements, thrilling adventures.  But sometimes its good to return to the thought that praying for simple things like easy times and good friends are more likely to, in the end, give our children the kind of life and happiness we so fervently wish for them.

May your back be straight and your fingers ten
My your cup be full when you say when
May your parents be so that they always let you grow
And may your heart be so pure its one that God wants to know
May your schooling be good, and if its not
May the times be easy and you still smart
May your friendships be so that they almost feel like home
And your heart be so pure its one that God wants to know
And may you have the joy of passing something on
Like the laugh of your father or the courage of your mom
But if that never happens and you end up alone
May your heart be so pure its one that God wants to know


Hear the song on Youtube.


Hear the song on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment