Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Pete Seeger "Where Have All The Flowers Gone?"

"Pick out a book and meet me on the bed."

It's what we do every night with the kids.

Pajamas.  Teeth Brushing.  And then pick out a book and climb on to Mom and Dad's bed, where we read a few stories before bed.

Because we'd read it the night before, the Dr. Suess anthology was still on the shelf behind the bed.

"Something from this?" I asked my 6 year old daughter. 

"Yes!"

"Sneetches?  The Sleep Book?  The Lorax?"

"The Lorax!"

And then we sat there.  My 3 year old son was still brushing his teeth, and my wife was trying to move the process along.  Unless you want to deal with a nuclear explosion, you never start a story unless both kids are in the room to hear it.

My brother-in-law got the kids this heavy, heavy anthology, and it's a great go-to source, because in one large book, it contains "The Cat And The Hat," "Green Eggs And Ham" and a dozen more stories.

Each story is prefaced by a short essay from various folks who were influenced by, or appreciate Dr. Suess. 

The Lorax is introduced by Pete Seeger.






"The most important thing you kids can do is ask the right questions."

I read that aloud to my daughter.  I doubt she really understands what he meant.  But I feel like it's these kinds of messages that, if you repeat them often enough eventually they sink in and your kid will become the kind of person who'll have the skills to navigate this big, wide, confusing world.

I was thankful to have such an important message laid out in such a succinct, clear way.

I learn, the next morning, that Pete Seeger has passed away.

Thanks Pete, for always being on message, with clarity and love, with care for children and for the future and for doing it with such beautiful simplicity.


Hear the song on Youtube.


No comments:

Post a Comment