Friday, October 11, 2013

Sam Cooke "Twisting The Night Away"

Like many, many of my peers in the 80s I incessantly listened to one of those albums that seemingly everybody owned:  the soundtrack to "Animal House."

I was well into adulthood before I sorted out that I had spent most of my youth misunderstanding, and mis-singing a line from "Twisting The Night Away."
Here's a man in evenin' clothes
How he got here, I don't know
But man you oughta see him go
Twistin' the night away
He's dancin' with the chick in slacks
She's a movin' up and back
Oh, man there ain't nothin' like
Twistin' the night away
For years, I (and c'mon, admit it, you too) sang:

"He's dancin' with the chicken slacks."

Hey, I assumed that Chicken Slacks were some kind of 50s apparel that had faded out of existence.  It's no more implausible than a "Poodle Skirt."

I got a good laugh a few weeks back, when I happened to be standing in front of Alison Hammond's "Local Music Cafe" CD library, and saw this album on top of a pile:


Well, they get points for humor.

You can hear the band The Chicken Slacks below, and in this episode of The Local Music Cafe.



Hear Sam Cooke on Youtube.


Hear the Chicken Slacks on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment