Monday, June 10, 2013

Tracy Chapman "Give Me One Reason"

This is for any of you who've said, "That radio station plays too much (insert artist name)."

Somewhere very early in my tenure with MVY, I took a call on the request line from someone who said:

"I hate to complain.  But I'm calling with a complaint."

"Okay."

"You guys play too much Tracy Chapman."

"You think so?"

"Definitely.  I feel like she's on every other hour.  You gotta start playing her less."

Now, I know the statistical reality of just how much we play Tracy Chapman.  It's not every few hours.  But (at the time of this call, probably a decade ago) we played a couple of songs by her each day.  So I had to ask:

"Do you like Tracy Chapman?"

"Ugh.  No."

"Not at all?"

"No, she's terrible."

"Well, then how much Tracy Chapman is too much Tracy Chapman."

He laughed, seeing what I was getting at.

"One song by Tracy Chapman is one song too many."

We laughed together and I thanked him for his input, but noted that there were listeners who liked Tracy Chapman, so we probably had to continue to play her some, even if we started to play her less.

Occasionally, we do get calls from folks who say "You play this band too much.  I love them, but please stop playing them so much."

But most of the time, when someone tells us we're playing it too much, what they really mean is that they don't want to hear it at all.  Ever.


Hear the song on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment