Monday, June 17, 2013

Fleetwood Mac "Without You"

Which would you consider to have "more," something that was "long" or something that's "extended."

To me, extended suggests some kind of superlative.   Like it would be "longer" than "long."

So I've always found LPs and EPs confusing.

LP stands for Long Play.  EP stands for Extended Play.

To my mind, the EP should be have more music on it, because it's "extended" beyond the usual length.

But that's not the way it is.  An LP is a record with two full side, with maybe 2 minutes of content on each side.  An EP is usually only 4 songs or so.

I'd complain about it being confusing, except that here in the digital age there are fewer and fewer albums, there are no "a sides" and "b sides" and most kids today wouldn't know how to drop a needle onto a vinyl album.

So I'll just make this post Extended, as opposed to Long.

(It still doesn't make sense to me)


Hear the whole EP on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment