Friday, May 24, 2013

Rickie Lee Jones "Weasel And The White Boys Cool"

I was watching my 3 year old.  And I was listening to MVY.

My 3 year old was using the family iPad mini.

We'll use it on long car trips, for movies for the kids.  We keep our family calendar on there.  And the kids are allowed to use it as a treat.

My wife has purchased a number of Apps that are good for learning and for art (so we're educating them without them knowing!).  And they like to watch PBS Kids videos.

I was watching my three year old deftly maneuver the touch screen, jumping from App to video and back, as natural as can be.

And then, I watched him take all the desktop shortcuts for all the Apps he uses, and drag them into a single folder.  Next, he took all the shortcuts for things he doesn't care about (like the mvyradio App, for one), and collect them all into another folder.

He's three.

And he'll grow up never knowing a world that didn't have touch screens.

Rickie Lee Jones came on the stream.  "Weasel And The White Boys Cool."  And a lyric stood out to me.

"Weasel ain't got a dime for the phone."

My son will grow up in a world where this line makes no logical sense.  How would one put a dime into a smartphone?

Then I starting thinking, Would my boy ever even hear a song from Rickie Lee Jones?

Rickie Lee's debut record came out 30 years before he was born.

To put that in perspective, I looked up the biggest hit from 30 years before I was born.  It was Perry Como's "Some Enchanted Evening."

If this were an SAT Test, then:

Rickie Lee Jones is to my 3 year old, as Perry Como is to me.

Suddenly, I feel old.
---------------------------------------------
Update: 8:46am

High School friend Doc Brown points out my lousy math on Facebook.


So . . . let me revise.  One of the biggest hits of 1939 was Glenn Miller's "Moonlight Serenade." 

Now I'm really feeling F-N old.  Thanks, Doc!


Hear the song on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment