Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Tom Jones "Hit Or Miss"

This is one of those tunes I wish I could present to you (and to myself), with complete anonymity for the artist involved. 

I'd love to know what your reaction to this tune would be, if I could tell you, convincingly, that this was a no-name, undiscovered 73-year-old artist who'd made a record worth hearing.

Because seriously, simply by uttering the two words, "Tom Jones" it's hard to see or hear anything but an older man in leather pants singing "What's New Pussycat" and "Kiss."

Neither could I call you up, without you hearing the song, and say, "Would you like to hear Tom Jones do an Odetta tune?"  Just trying to conceptualize it might make your brain break.

And yet, hear it is.  Tom Jones, who, for all the goofiness and cheesiness you can rightly tag him with, has always had, and still has, a powerful instrument.  He does a credible job here.

Hear it, if your brain will let you . . .


Hear the song on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment