Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Fats Domino "Blueberry Hill"



There are many occurrences in fiction, of the actual joy of being the last man on Earth, from the Twilight Zone, to I Am Legend.  Mutants and broken glasses aside, that is. 

Being the only man on Earth does allow you to indulge, unhindered, into whatever you feel like doing.

I was at mvyradio for the last night on 92.7, which happened right in the middle of Nemo the Blizzard. 

Barbara and Jess live within a mile of the station, so shortly after midnight, they went home.

But I stayed behind.

First, it was going to be near impossible for me to get home, in the thick of the storm.  Much easier to stay put.

Second, if I stayed, then no replacement DJ would have to come in until the storm was over.  I could keep music going, and be live when necessary.

Third, there was a blueberry pie.

Yes, some very, very generous soul was in The Black Dog on Friday morning, and heard us on the stereo, talking about our last day.  They were buying themselves a pie, and they thought to buy one for the mvyradio staff.

Early in the day, Laurel had a small piece.  But by the time the whole gang had left, I realized that no one else had taken a bite.

The pie was mine. 

Through the night, and for breakfast on Saturday, and for lunch, and for an afternoon snack, I cut myself pieces of pie.

Yes, it did seem indulgent.  Decadent.  But on the other hand, I was the last man on Earth.

Who would begrudge me?


Hear the song on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment