Thursday, August 30, 2012

Bob Roberts (Tim Robbins) "Wall Street Rap"

I was watching the Republican National Convention last night. Tim Pawlenty was talking.

I've heard Tim Pawlenty on political programs---Meet The Press kind of stuff. He comes off as an articulate, sincere guy.

But he started off his speech with a series of jokes. I'd blame my own political bent for the lack of laughter emanating from my couch, until the television cameras cut to the audience, to catch reactions to Pawlenty's punchlines. Blank stares and weak smiles.

"The president takes more vacations than that guy on the Bizarre Foods show."

Huh?

His jokes were dying.

I'm sure there are funny Republicans. John McCain did a pretty good job on Saturday Night Live. Chris Christie seems like he can tell a joke.

But on the whole (and I'm hardly the first person to say this), Republicans seem to have a much harder time being funny.

We've gotten in a crop of new CDs from left-leaning artists, who make some politically funny comments.  Ry Cooder in particular has a lot of fun needling the right.

But I can't say that I've heard one legitimate (legitimately funny, that is) offer from a right-leaning artist, in this political season.  I even started thinking back to previous political seasons, without a good answer.

So I ask again, are Republicans just not that funny?

Honestly, the only thing I could come up with, was Bob Roberts.  His folks songs that mock Liberals were pretty cutting and hilarious.  However, Bob Roberts was just a character created by the left-leaning actor Tim Robbins.  Is that what it takes, to effectively and hilariously mock Democrats?  A Liberal pretending to be a Conservative?

I know there are people who read this, who have a few ideas.

Anyone?  Funny song from a Republican?


Hear the "Wall Street Rap" from Bob Roberts on Youtube.


Hear "Bleeding Heart" and "Complain" from Bob Roberts on Youtube.


Hear Ry Cooder's "Going To Tampa" on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment