Monday, June 18, 2012

Loudon Wainwright III "Daughter"

A Father's Day post, post-Father's Day . . .

This was our first, special, get-away trip, since she'd become a big sister.

A brother had arrived the previous April, and our formerly one-and-only child had been sharing the spotlight with a new brother.

She'd done surprisingly well.  Better than I'd expected.  Jealously and weirdness was fairly minimal.

And we'd reached a point where we felt comfortable enough to leave him with my parents for an overnight, so that Mom, Dad and daughter could have a little adventure.

The hotel had a pool.  My daughter had never taken a swimming lesson, but did like to splash around in a kiddie pool.

My wife had the idea to buy a pair of "Floaties" for her arms.  They had Nemo on them, and my daughter thought they looked kind of cool.

But nothing prepared her for how cool things were about to get.

My wife carried her into the pool, as she had in other pools on other occasions.  But then she put her down, holding just her hands.  Then she let go of her hands.

My daughter was shocked to find that she was floating by herself, without any help from us.

"I'M SWIMMING!  EVERYBODY!  I'M SWIMMING!"  She waved to the nonplussed pool-goers, who were unaware of the monumental occasion happening before their eyes.

"LOOK EVERYBODY!  I'M SWIMMING!!!"

She simply couldn't contain herself, or her pride.

And I thought to myself, "That's my daughter in the water."  I could barely contain myself either.



Hear the song on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment