Monday, April 9, 2012

The Cramps "Bikini Girls With Machine Guns"

My wife and kids and I went over to a friend's house a couple of weeks back.  Married couple with a son a little older than our oldest.

With dinnertime rolling around, we decided to order some pizzas.  It was from a place that didn't deliver, so John (the other Dad) and I got in his car to go pick up dinner.

On the way out the door, he grabbed an album by The Cramps.

"I haven't heard these guys in years," I smiled.

I mean, I used to hear them all the time on the Florida non-commercial station I listened to, and played them from time to time on my Alternative specialty show, but these days, I just haven't been listening to much Punk-y rock.

That was the impetus for digging out the CD, John told me.

For the last bunch of years, whenever he was in the car, he and his wife and son would be listening to family friendly fare.

And the same for us.

We've been listening to Dan Zanes and Kimya Dawson and other kid albums, but also The Beatles and Queen and silly Pop songs.

Rocking CDs, just for me, had fallen out of rotation.  And they had for John too.

So as a treat to himself, when he gets in the car alone, he's been blasting The Cramps.

It's great to be a Dad.  But it's also great to be "a drag racer on LSD" from time to time, too.


Hear the song on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment