Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Bruce Hornsby "Gonna Be Some Changes Made"

My Mom was a career nurse.  Operating room.

She could come home at the end of the day, and calmly, unsqueamishly talk about surgery on folks who'd been in motorcycle accidents, or about removing internal organs and clamping vessels.  All kinds of blood and gore, that was just another day at the office for her.

But one time, I dropped a heavy object on my toe.  It was broken and bleeding.  And she could barely look at it.

Why?

She couldn't really answer that question for herself.

In my job, I can happily consume songs that are of the most personal nature.  John Lennon's pain of losing his mother.  The dissolution of Bob Dylan's marriage.  Stevie Nicks singing the poisioned words Lindsay Buckingham wrote about her.

Not that I'm unfeeling about these emotional songs.  But I don't know that I ever wince.

So why is it that whenever I get to the part of "Gonna Be Some Changes Made" where Bruce Hornsby admits to accidentally spitting on the crowd during a concert, that I become a horrified teenage girl?

T-M-I, Hornsby!  Gross!

Up in front for all to see I′m graceful like a bumbling fool
Then I thought I felt slip from my mouth a little drool
Maybe no one noticed it, on my mind heavily it weighed
I saw two people snickering I said there needs to be some changes made


Hear the song on Youtube.


Hear John Lennon on Youtube.


Hear Bob Dylan on Youtube.


Hear Fleetwood Mac on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment