Sunday, February 12, 2012

Bon Iver "Holocene"

Another Weekend Post ahead of our Grammy coverage tonight.

Bon Iver is nominated for Record of the Year, Song of the Year, Best New Artist and Best Alternative Music Album.

How deliciously awkward (and potentially hilarious) it will be, if he gets a televised win and acceptance speech?

Here's a quote from The New York Times, pre-nomination:

"I don't think the Bon Iver record is the kind of record that would get nominated for a Grammy — I would get up there and be like, 'This is for my parents, because they supported me,' because I know they would think it would be stupid of me not to go up there. But I kinda felt like going up there and being like: 'Everyone should go home, this is ridiculous. You should not be doing this. We should not be gathering in a big room and looking at each other and pretending this is important."

While he backed away slightly from the quote, after his nomination, he again raised an eyebrow or two, by turning down a chance to perform at this year's Grammy ceremony.

So if he wins a Grammy, will he reference the above? Will he be sheepish and funny? Will he follow through (see his second pull-quote, from the first linked article), and hector the audience?

I want to him to win, because his music deserves it. But I double-want it, to see some entertaining, awkward television.

mvyradio will cover the Grammys live on our Twitter feed, Sunday at 8pm.


Hear the song on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment