Sunday, December 25, 2011

Tim Minchin "White Wine In The Sun"

My cousin Rick, who now lives in Australia, introduced me to the music of Tim Minchin, who's known as a comedian (though he's more of a hilarious performer, songwriter, showman, etc). But here he's somewhat serious and a bit sentimental.

I thought I'd post this one on Christmas Day, because it shares a view of the holiday that's as beautiful as the idealized "Christmas Song" kind of holiday, with a more true-to-life set of conflicted emotions about rampant consumerism, qualms about parts of religion, and family baggage.

It presents those conflicts, and yet it does what most of us are able to do, if we're lucky---it sets them aside to get at the heart of what we really love about the holiday, which is the simple, lovely, warmth of interaction with the people we care most about.

I hope that's the kind of day you are having.

Merry Christmas.


Hear the song on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment