Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Emmylou Harris & Beck "Sin City"

If you've had a kid in the last decade, chances are pretty good you've had a copy of "What To Expect When You're Expecting" in your house.

One of the pieces of advice that I remember from it, was about singing to sooth a crying child. Something about how babies like singing and don't even notice the worst, out-of-tune off-key warbling. They just like the sound of your voice.

My wife has been singing to our kids at bedtime ever since they were born. She's got a really nice voice, and I'm sure it's a very pleasant way to go to sleep.

After teeth-brushing and a few books, she turns out the light and goes into her repertoire of songs.

Usually it starts with the song from Dumbo, "Baby Mine," which Bonnie Raitt and Alison Krauss have both recorded. On a good night, one song is all that it takes.

But not every night is a good night. Sometimes it takes a bit for the kids to settle down.

So she'll sing "Lullaby" by Billy Joel. Then maybe "Beautiful Boy" by John Lennon for my son. My daughter has always been inexplicably calmed by my wife's version of Ingrid Michaelson's "The Way I Am."

Some combination of those songs sung by my wife, usually is enough to get the kids to drift off.

But on certain occasions, my wife isn't home for bedtime.

Consistency is the key to parenting, so with great care I make sure we go through the same pajama-putting-on, teeth-brushing, story-reading routine. In exactly the same way my wife does it.

Then I turn out the light.

My voice is no where near as good as my wife's, but it's not a total disaster.

I do just fine with "Baby Mine." I'll even repeat the last verse and chorus 3 or 4 times, to stretch out the song.

If that doesn't do the trick then it's on to "Lullaby."

Their still awake and need more?

"Beautiful Boy" then "The Way I Am."

No? Not asleep yet?

Okay, a medley of The Beatles' "Golden Slumbers" and "Good Night."

At this point, if they're not asleep, I'm out of lullabies.

It used to be that panic would set in, and I'd start over with "Baby Mine."

Then I realized that the kids probably don't care too much about the words, as long as the melody is pleasing.

I'm not the best singer. But within a limited range, I can do alright.

So if all else fails, I usually sing "Sin City." The version that Emmylou Harris did with Beck, falls within (what we can be liberally described as) my wheelhouse.

The lyrics don't, in any way, qualify as restive, lullaby-ish or sleep-related. The mix of religion and politics and its "whole town insane" vibe won't ever replace "Rockabye Baby."

But to a Dad just trying to do the best he can, it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment