Thursday, October 20, 2011

Elton John "Old 67"

You know how you used to like that restaurant a whole lot, and you ate there all the time, and then, I dunno, you heard it had cockroaches or there was a drug bust there, and you stopped going. Yeah, I mean, that happened 15 years ago, but you don't go there ever, but the place still seems to be in business?

That's how I feel about Elton John.

I just kinda lots my taste for his music, once he hit the cheesy 80s and the schlocky Disney 90s.

But I heard this song the other day, and I was reminded that somewhere in the last decade, Elton got back on track.

Sure, he's never going to match the level of work he hit in the 70s, but at least his last few albums have felt authentic. Like he was engaged with the work. Like he wasn't just trying to cash a Mass Appeal check.

So yeah, if you never go to that restaurant anymore, think about going back. The negative things you remember about it are long gone, and it's okay to reconsider, and even enjoy a modest, understated, but sincere return to form.


Hear the song on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment