Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Old 97s "White Port"

You may or may not know that I met my wife because she won an mvyradio T-shirt Design Contest.

How excited was she to find out that one of her new favorite bands, The Old 97s, were having a t-shirt design contest?

The design had to be based on any one of the tunes from the band's most recent album, "The Grand Theatre, Volume 2."

And now she is a finalist.

If she wins, she gets backstage passes to meet the band at an upcoming show.

So may I invited you to go to The Old 97s' Facebook page, make sure you "Like" the band, and the "Like" her drawing, shown on the right.

It's for the song "White Port," which is written from the perspective of a rail-riding hobo, who loves his freedom and his beverage of choice.

Now, to be honest with you, I have mixed feelings about her
winning this one, as she is quite smitten with the handsome and charming lead singer, Rhett Miller.

I mean, she already has a track record of falling for guys who judge t-shirt artwork!



I suppose that my saving grace could be that she chose "White Port," one of the few songs on the record written by bass player Murray Hammond.

Anyway, wish us luck! And if you "Like" The Old 97s, be sure to check out their hilarious photo gallery.


Hear a live version of the song on Youtube.

Hear the album version on Spotify (but you have to be signed up to Spotify).

1 comment:

  1. What a great design! I "liked" it! This is probably my favorite song from that album, too. Good luck to Tabitha; hope she wins and brings back dreamy pictures :)

    ReplyDelete