Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Kathleen Edwards "Change The Sheets"

It's always thrilling, and/or nerve-wracking when news of two artists with distinctive, realized sounds, decide to collaborate.

Like, remember when you heard about Robert Plant and Alison Krauss working together?

Did you, like me, say, "Well what the heck is that going to sound like?"

Previously, both artists had developed an instantly recognizable sound. And those two styles seemed to have nothing in common.

But it all worked out, didn't it.

I saw Robert Plant in concert last winter, and Kathleen Edwards was there. Edwards, like Plant, is on Boston's own Rounder Records, so she was in town to check in with her label folks, as she worked on a new record.

She told us that her new record was being produced by Justin Vernon of Bon Iver.

And I thought, "Wow, what is that going to sound like."

Some words I associate with Bon Iver: Wintry, plaintive, lush

Some words I associate with Kathleen Edwards: Direct, profane, rootsy

I was having a hard time in my head, mixing the two.

Would the new Edwards record, smother her emotional and lyrical directness in atmosphere? (Beautiful, beautiful atmosphere)

I'm glad to hear the fruits of this collaboration did nothing to round out Edwards' edges. "Change The Sheets" is still showcases songwriting that cuts through. And the production does bear the mark of Vernon, by being full and warm, drawing a natural line to Edwards' rootsy side.

Peanut butter and chocolate. Not chalk and cheese.


Hear the song on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment