Saturday, September 17, 2011

Ace "How Long"

I wrote about Squeeze earlier this week, and as I was writing the post, I was listening to "Tempted" over and over, for the billionth time in my life.

And in watching the video, I was reminded that the bulk of the song is actually sung not by Chris Difford or Glenn Tilbrook, the main songwriters of the band. "Tempted" was sung by Paul Carrack, who was only briefly part of Squeeze.

I was really enjoying his vocal performance, how soulful and warm it is, and I starting thinking, "Why didn't this guy do more?"

I mean, I remember the band Mike & The Mechanics. "The Living Years" was sincere, but kinda sappy. And I knew he had a few solo hits.

But I didn't realize that "this guy" couldn't possibly have done more.

He was a member of Roxy Music for their late 70s/early 80s albums.

He was part of Noise To Go, which was a band put together by Nick Lowe, to back Lowe on his solo records, as well as Lowe's wife-at-the-time Carlene Carter. And they back Carrack on his solo projects.

Noise To Go changed it's name to Nick Lowe's Cowboy Outfit, and that band backed John Hiatt on his "Riding With The King" record.

He was a sessions musician for The Smiths and The Pretenders.

And Roger Waters recruited him as a player and singer for both an early solo record, and the massive "The Wall Live In Berlin" show.

Then there was the aborted album he was making with Timothy B Schmidt and Don Felder of The Eagles, which I'll write about tomorrow.

But it all started with this tune, which I'm sure you remember.

I'd forgotten that Carrack was the singer in the band Ace, who had this hit.

Nice resume!


See the video on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment