Monday, August 29, 2011

Julio Iglesias "To All The Girls I've Loved Before"

Believe it or not, when I hear this song, I think of hurricanes and their aftermath.

It was 19 years ago this month that I was living in South Florida when Hurricane Andrew devastated whole sections of cities south of Miami.

In the weeks following the destruction, Miami celebrities put together a major benefit show.

I happened to be dating a DJ at the time, and she had tickets. So we found ourselves just 20 rows from the stage in the massive, filled, Joe Robbie Stadium (home of the Dolphins).

If I remember correctly, Gloria Estefan was the organizer and she pulled in a crazily diverse roster of Miami-connected artists and friends.

It's perhaps not surprising that she had Celia Cruz perform with her. You wouldn't blink at the idea of Jimmy Buffett playing in South Florida. You may or may not remember that The BeeGees based themselves out of Miami. And you could probably picture that Estefan roped her friend Andy Garcia into playing some percussion during her set.

But also on the bill . . . Paul Simon, Weird Al Yankovic, Whoopie Goldberg (who sang "Shout") and Stephen Stills.

But best, and weirdest, of all, was Julio Iglesias.

I mean, when was I ever going to see Julio Iglesias in concert? Only a massive hurricane and a fortuitous relationship with a DJ could have made the possible.

He was handsome. He was tan. He lip-synced.

At least I'm pretty sure he was lip-syncing. Because I couldn't otherwise explain how there seemed to be a full backing band of musicians, though he was the only one on the stage.

But hey, he showed up, right? I'm glad he came along, and I dedicate this song, to all the hurricanes, Irene included, that I've loved before.


See the video (and Oprah, lip-syncing) on Youtube.


See one of the funniest Willie Nelson imitations ever, on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment