Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Judas Priest "Breaking The Law"

First, let me say that I trust my wife completely.

But every once and I while, I do imagine her secret life.

I was out doing errands, with my then-one-year-old in tow, and our last stop was the package store down the street. When I got to the counter, the several clerks working the registers all stopped to smile and wave at my baby.

They were strangely familiar with her.

“Oh yeah, she’s in here all the time with her Mom,” they told me.

All the time? With her Mom?

I mean, we buy an occasional bottle of wine. But we’re not in there so often that a package store clerk should recognize my baby.

Or are we? I mean, her. My wife.

I imagine this secret life, where my wife is buying bottles of wine while I’m working long hours at the radio station. Enjoying a big glass of vino to while away the long hours with the kids.

Do I really think this happens? No, but it’s funny to imagine.

My daughter is now 3 ½ and last week I let her watch the beginning of the “American Idol” finale show. She developed a little crush on James Durbin this Season, the Heavy Metal contestant. (Yes, it’s every father’s dream, to have your daughter in love with an older Metal dude)

Idol finales always feature the contestants paired up in a duet with one of their heroes. And James looked thrilled to be singing with Judas Priest.

When the Priest medley, which included “Living After Midnight” segued to the propulsive “Breaking The Law,” my little girl perked up with recognition.

“That’s where it comes from!” she said.

What? I asked.

“The song that Mommy sings.”

While my wife is known to listen to Jeff Buckley and The Replacements, truth be told, the first time we went out in her car, the 3 CDs she had were Outkast, Justin Timberlake and Pharell Williams.

She is NOT a Heavy Metal momma.

Or is she?

Now I have to imagine my wife, with the kids in the car seats, cruising around town in our little SUV, windows rolled down, stereo cranked, heads-banging Wayne’s World style, running red lights and shrieking:

“Breakinthelaw! Breakinthelaaaaawww!!!”

It makes me laugh.


See the video on Youtube.


See the video on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment