Thursday, May 12, 2011

Irving Berlin "A Pretty Girl Is Like A Melody"

Until today, I had never actually heard this song. I knew the melody and some of the lyrics, but I'd never actually heard it performed.

Except by my Mom.

This is one of those songs that exists in my life, solely because Mom would sing it to my sisters. I mean, it occurred to me that it was a real song, but I'd never thought to listen to a recording of it until I was trolling through the new National Jukebox.

What a cool historical project.

This week, the Library Of Congress posted The National Jukebox a long-in-the-making project of some of the earliest sound recordings made (and preserved) in the United States. Songs and artists and voices and styles that could have been lost to the ages, but are now available for free streaming.

Relying on your Mom is great, but it's pretty special to have this bit of recorded history.

No comments:

Post a Comment