Monday, April 4, 2011

Frank Sinatra "That's Life"

This week's guest blogger, Tanya Primo-Jones, is writing about songs that exemplify what she calls The Primo Spirit.

Hey There,

My name is Tanya Primo-Jones, people call me The Primo Lady; I am your guest blogger for the week. I went to high school a few….aaahem…20 something years ago with the master mind behind “Everyday I Write the Blog” and thanks to a tiny little thing called Facebook we reconnected. I guess the motivational quotes and sayings I was posting on my Find Your Primo page inspired PJ to ask me to write a little somethin’ somethin’ for his blog. So, here I am!

Before diving into today’s song you need to know a few things-
1. Why do people call me the Primo Lady?
2. What do I know about Music?

1. Why do people call me the Primo Lady? I am the creator of this little cartoon guy called “Primo,” I created him to give the world a visual for their inner competitive spirit…that spirit, that when ignited with hard work, perseverance and belief in yourself will lead you to your greatest successes! I use this guy in various ways to motivate and inspire others to find their inner Primo, to reach their goals and to achieve their dreams...Yea, PJ, that book you shared with us last week...you’re gonna need to get that finished….and published!

2. What do I know about music? Um, nothing – but I do know that I love it! I certainly love dancing to it but I also love listening to the lyrics. The lyrics tell a story and for as long as I can recall I’ve always loved knowing people's stories. Not because I’m nosy but because I’m just so curious to learn more about people - where they came from, and their thoughts and dreams on where they’re going.
As this week's guest blogger I bring to you a motivating song-a-day that exudes the Primo spirit that I spoke of above. I have great admiration for people who are truly in search of their inner Primo, for people who don’t just settle. Folks who are willing to make the most of this one life they have... facing all odds, working hard, and persevering to win in this game called life. Musical artists have the ability to eloquently or in some cases not-so-eloquently put their “search for Primo” into words...into song, and that’s exactly what these 5 artists have done. I love it, and I love it all the same, despite the era they are from, despite their musical genre...despite their target market.

You don’t have to like the song but take from each one the message that if you find your inner strength, if you work hard, persevere, and believe in yourself...you will be a winner...now that’s the Primo Spirit!!

#1
This first song by the legendary Frank Sinatra, I believe, is the foundation for which Primo was built upon. You see, my Dad bowed down to Frank...In fact at times, I think he thought he was Frank and in my opinion when my Dad sang this song I think he sang it better than Frank! My dad passed away 4 years ago and it was shortly thereafter that Primo was created. Primo represents my dad, the kind of person he was and the kind of person he taught me to be; the lyrics of this song resonates deep with me because its all about being knocked down and getting back up again (no, not that Chumbawamba song)! A great strength – the greatest one my dad had and for certain the greatest one I have! How can you not feel inspired by this song???

That’s Life – by the great Frank Sinatra
That's life, that's what all the people say.
You're riding high in April,
Shot down in May
But I know I'm gonna change that tune,
When I'm back on top, back on top in June.

I said that's life, and as funny as it may seem
Some people get their kicks,
Stompin' on a dream
But I don't let it, let it get me down,
'Cause this fine ol' world it keeps spinning around

I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate,
A poet, a pawn and a king.
I've been up and down and over and out
And I know one thing:
Each time I find myself, flat on my face,
I pick myself up and get back in the race.

That's life
I tell ya, I can't deny it,
I thought of quitting baby,
But my heart just ain't gonna buy it.
And if I didn't think it was worth one single try,
I'd jump right on a big bird and then I'd fly

I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate,
A poet, a pawn and a king.
I've been up and down and over and out
And I know one thing:
Each time I find myself laying flat on my face,
I just pick myself up and get back in the race

That's life
That's life and I can't deny it
Many times I thought of cutting out
But my heart won't buy it
But if there's nothing shakin' come this here july
I'm gonna roll myself up in a big ball and die
My, My


Hmm, sounds like he may be losing his Primo spirit in that last line, but a guy like that I’m certain won’t stay down for long!

Today: Live your life with maximum umph...or you may as well roll yourself up in a big ball...

Find out more about Tanya Primo-Jones and the Primo Spirit at Find Your Primo and In Search Of Primo.

No comments:

Post a Comment