Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Carly Simon "Halfway Around The World"

This is a little tune I hum to myself, whenever I'm grinding through a long task but I'm making progress and suddenly, there is more behind me than in front of me.

I started this blogging venture nearly two years ago at the behest of my boss, who had suggested that some of the mvyradio DJs should be blogging as a way to offer listeners more music-related information and entertainment.

I was pretty resistant to the idea, knowing that blogs are like diets and New Year's resolutions---people start them and they don't last. And I also knew that blogs are only successful if you post frequently---once a week would never build a following.

Call it good luck or stupidity . . . I ran through a bunch of names for the blog, based on some favorite song titles. You came very close to reading something called "Real Live Bleeding Blog" (after a Lucinda Williams song about Paul Westerberg).

Every Day I Write The Blog.

And, well, settling on a name like that, is a challenge to live up to.

I started slowly, to see if I could get into the swing of writing regularly. Three days a week. When I got comfortable with that, I bumped it up to 4, then 5.

By January 2010, I was actually writing a post every day. And I've been able to maintain that groove for the last year, plus.

It's been extremely rewarding.

I mean, I hope people are enjoying it. I certainly do write for an audience, I write to be read.

But let's face it, blogs are an indulgent art form. But that's the rewarding part.

I've had fun revisiting old songs and old times and old girlfriends and old memories, while throwing in new thoughts about new songs that provide new twists to my job as a Music Director.

And I've been rewarded with discipline. Demanding of myself that I write a post per day has been a challenge that I've been happy to rise to. It's made my writing better, and it's been an asset to my time management and my creativity.

All good things.

While part of me feels like I could go on and on and on . . . well, that's not realistic.

This blog is largely about memories, and the supply and demand was never going to be in synch. I'm writing about more memories than I'm creating. I mean, I can't have a memorable life experience with a song to remind me of it, every day (now THAT would be a project).

So somewhere along the line, I picked 1000 entries as my goal.

I still have tons of stories I haven't put down, and lots of ideas to come, so 1000 seems like a good number.

That'll take me to around August 2012.

Maybe I'll write beyond that. But at the very least, I want to write up to that number.

Thanks for checking in with this blog, thanks for your feedback and thanks for passing the link on to friends.

I hope my stories have made you laugh or think or conjure up memories of your own.

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment