Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Kinks "Do It Again"

I had a great night out on the town on Friday, when I went to The Woods Hole Film Festival's "Dinner And A Movie" series to see "Do It Again."

It's an off-Season, get-out-of-your-house-on-a-cold-night Deal. You pay a pre-fix price, you get a nice meal, and after dinner you can kick back with a beer and watch a movie in a local restaurant.

I hadn't heard of the evening's showing, the documentary "Do It Again," which is a little surprising, since it brings a bunch of favorite things to an intersection. But I sure did love it.

Geoff Edgers is a writer for the Boston Globe Arts section. And in this documentary, as he approaches 40 years old he decides he must achieve something great: He must reunite The Kinks.

On the way to trying to get a sit down with Ray Davies, he talks to many of the members of The Kinks, and many relevant non-Kinks, including artists who played with their brothers (Warren Zanes of the Del Fuegos), artists who's bands broke up but reunited (Sting) and artists who's bands broke up but refuse to reunite (Paul Weller of The Jam), as well as a few Kinks worshipers (Robyn Hitchcock, Zooey Deschanel). And hilariously, he concludes each interview by trying to get the interviewee to sing and play a Kinks song with him, to varying degrees of success.

It was a fun flick about fandom, reconciliation, musical passion, reckoning, aging and joyous obsession.

After the movie, I ran into a friend who asked our group the question, "What band would you do that for?"

Is there a band that you'd obsessively stalk, if you thought there was a chance to get them to reunite?

I didn't have the answer at the moment, but upon thinking about it, I know. And I start tonight.

I'm headed to the House Of Blues in Boston this evening to see Robert Plant.

If Led Zeppelin announces on Wednesday that they are reforming, just know that you'll have me to thank.



No comments:

Post a Comment