Monday, January 24, 2011

The Cure "Love Cats"

I had a bass guitar for about 5 minutes, during the college years. Mostly because all the guys I hung out with were musicians.

It was Kurt who suggested the bass guitar as an instrument. He could play a several different instruments (including the bass), and he thought the bass needed the least amount of ramp up to get to a point of being competent, so I could join in with the folks who already knew how to play.

What I quickly discovered is that while the bass is easier to pick up than, say, the guitar or the piano, it's also one of the least interesting instruments to play, and learn, if you're just by yourself.

Piano and guitar work great as solo instruments, and you can be entertaining and entertained while practicing. But plunking out basslines on your own could be pretty boring.

Or so I complained.

Kurt thought differently.

He picked up his own bass, and laid down the bassline to "Lovecats" as an example of a cool bass melody to practice.

Though it really isn't that difficult, I never did "ramp up" to the level that I could do "Lovecats" like Kurt did, but when I hear the song, I'm always reminded that Least Complicated doesn't necessarily need to be Least Interesting.



No comments:

Post a Comment