Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Florence And The Machine "Dog Days Are Over"

Okay, so I'm probably the last blogger on earth to post about this band and song, but I did have some thoughts on it.

It's another tune that's been kicking around for quite some time. It really belongs more to the world of Alternative Radio than to stations that sound like mvyradio. But there are some of our format-cousins who are playing this track. It would probably be a stretch for us, but I was starting to think maybe we could do it.

"Dog Days" had gotten in my head, and that's a good sign. If a tune sticks with you, long after you've taken off the headphones, it's got staying power. And it's the end of the year, which is a good time to take a flying leap and play something that IS a bit of a stretch.

I was thinking we'd have to give this track serious consideration when Monday rolled around (Monday is the day we officially add songs to rotation).

Then I saw them on Saturday Night Live.

Unfortunately, I was underwhelmed.

A "good song" is certainly the highest criteria for a song getting added to rotation, but there are lots of other questions to ask and answer. For instance, while the song is good, Is the band any good? Are they more than one song? Are they good enough that they'll be around for awhile? Are they authentic?

The live, TV performance didn't sell me on any of these counts and come Monday, we didn't even talk about the song.

I dunno, does someone want to straighten me out on this one?



2 comments:

  1. I've always thought she sounds off key whenever I hear her live. I haven't liked much from F&tM except this song and their cover of "Addicted to Love".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fan, I'd say. Their live presence isn't quite as monumental as their recorded presence - they have many great songs, including Hurricane Drunk, Cosmic Love, and Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up). Not sure if they're a fit for the mvy "sound", however.

    I don't put much stock in TV talk show performances, anyhow - most, unless you're Janelle Monae or someone like that, sound forced.

    ReplyDelete