Monday, November 29, 2010

Goo Goo Dolls "Long Way Down"

When my Mom heard that I have a blog, she told me:

"Oh, I'd like to tune into that sometime."

Mom, though sincere, is not necessarily hip or techie.

But every once and a while, she can surprise you.

Like the time we were in an Irish pub, and she requested that the singer do "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright." I would have bet all the money in my pocket that she couldn't name 3 Bob Dylan songs.

Or there was the time that she visited me in Virginia.

It was the mid-90s, and I was the host of an Alternative radio program, on an independent station in southwest Virginia.

Mom thought it would be fun to spend the evening at the station with me. And she was curious to try email.

At that time, email was pretty new, for the average Baby Boomer. She didn't have a home computer or anything, but she thought it was "neat" that I was writing, electronically, to my sister Julie.

So I sat her down in front of the station computer and went to work on my show. Every once and a while, I'd check in with her, as she did her hunt-and-peck, tip-typing a note to my sister.

When she said she was ready to send, I gave it a look over, and furrowed my brow.

After some chit-chatting type things about what she had seen on this visit, and a knock on the cleanliness of my apartment, before closing, she wrote:

"Long way down, I don't think I'll make it on my own."

That sounded familiar, but I had to spin my mental hamster wheel for a second to get it.

"Mom? Are you quoting the Goo Goo Dolls here?"

I'd played the new-ish song "Long Way Down," sometime within the last half-hour, I guess the lyric struck her for some reason.

Could she name ONE Goo Goo Dolls song? No. Certainly not.

But, just for the fact that she was listening, she did become just a little, tiny, teeny bit cool.




Once she "tunes in" to my blog, it's only a matter of time before Mom is on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment