Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Ben Harper "Burn One Down"

Do you ever meet someone new, and they just don't quite get your sense of humor?

It happens to me quite a bit. Maybe I'm just too dry or deadpan. But sometimes I'll crack a joke to a complete stranger or someone I've just met, and I think I'm funny. And I find myself on the receiving end of look that says, "Is this guy kidding or serious?"

I was backstage at a post show Meet & Greet with Ben Harper And The Innocent Criminals. It was going to be my first big interview ever.

There were about 20 Fan Club members backstage too, all waiting for Ben to come out, to sign autographs. To try to not think too much about how I might screw this interview up, I tried chatting up the Innocent Criminals, who were quite warm and friendly.

But they were also very, very hungry. And itchy to eat.

They'd arrived at the Festival a little late, and hadn't had time to eat anything before their performance, and now they were ravenous, and ready to blow out of the Fan scene and have a late, late lunch.

We were not far from the food concourse, and the drummer was looking over the fence at the Lunch trucks.

"I can't wait to burn down a burrito," he said, to no one in particular.

"Oh," I picked up his thought. "Is that what 'Burn One Down' is about? Burritos?"

He just looked at me. He thought about answering, and then he just left my stupid/hilarious/ambiguous comment die there in the Meet & Greet courtyard.

Do you think this song is about Burritos? Or something else?



1 comment: