Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Sam Bush "Uncle Pen"

Five behind-the-scenes scenes at Newport Folk.

Give credit to the generous gentleman and the complete jackass.

I had just gotten back to the mvyradio command center, inside Fort Adams’ wall, still turning over in my head what had happened.

Joe had been listening through headphones.

“You’re introduction was fantastic!” he said.

Jess turned around, “What’d he said?!”

I cut Joe off before he could continue any undeserved praise, and told them what had really happened.

A day or so before the festival, we, along with the other radio partners (WFUV, NPR Music, WERS, Folk Alley and apparently, this year, the Ice Cream Man) get our stage assignments from the festival producers. Each of us is given a few opportunities to get up on stage before an act, talk about our station, and then bring out the band.

On the one hand, it’s terrifying and intimidating to be up there, facing a crowd of hundreds, or thousands. On the other hand it’s thrilling when you nail it.

I drew Sam Bush, and his Saturday afternoon set on the Harbor Stage. I had the advantage of having seen the man before, knowing his music, and having time to prepare.

But as a stood at the bottom of the steps to the stage, waiting for a cue from the stage manager, I felt a hand on my shoulder.

“Here’s what you should say about Sam Bush . . .”

Now normally, when someone I don’t know tells me how to do my job, especially when the advice is unsolicited, I maybe slightly raise an eyebrow, nod politely, and then do whatever the hell I want to do.

But he wasn’t even finished with that sentence before I dropped my defense, and listened up.

This was Bob Jones.

Mr. Jones has been part of the Newport Folk Festival since before Dylan went electric. He was out on the road, coordinating tours for Duke Ellington and Thelonious Monk. He’s also been a part of the New Orleans Heritage And Jazz Festival since its inception.

Leaning on his walker, telling me what to say, you’re damn right I was going to say it.

But first, I had to do my mvyradio bit.

I got the cue and toddled out to a lone microphone at the corner of the stage.

“Good afternoon everybody. Welcome to the Newport Folk Festival. My name’s PJ Finn, I’m from mvyradio.” A smattering of light applause.

I continue with my mvyradio schtick: “We’re recording all these performances. I know you can’t be 3 places at once. If there is another performance you want to see when you go home tonight, mvyradio.com, you’ll be able to download performances from across the festival . . .”

When from out of nowhere, a guy, only a few rows deep shouted:

“MVY SUCKS!!!”

He was ducking down, but I could see him, with a big fucking shit eating grin on his face. He was a total asshole, just doing it for kicks.

I was totally derailed.

But the weird thing is, the adrenaline kicked in and my introduction soared.

I just thought of what Bob Jones told me. My voice rose:

“HOW ABOUT ENOUGH OF THE TALKING. I’VE SEEN THIS GUY A WHOLE BUNCH OF TIMES BEFORE. HE IS AMAZING. HE NEVER FAILS TO KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF. 36 YEARS AGO, THE FATHER OF BLUEGRASS WAS HERE, BILL MONROE. PLEASE WELCOME THE FATHER OF NEWGRASS, IT’S MR. SAM BUSH!!!”

As I hustled off the stage and down the steps, I lightly touched Mr. Jones’ shoulder, and said, “Thank you, sir,” before heading back to the mvyradio command center, listening to Sam and the band kick into a cover of Bill Monroe's "Uncle Pen."

Had it not been for the jerk, I don’t know that my adrenaline would have risen like it did. And I don’t know if I would have decided to go with Bob Jones’ idea for the introduction.

So when Joe told me my introduction was great, I had to give credit to both the generous gentleman and the complete jackass.


You can hear my introduction before the complete Sam Bush set. Listen carefully, just before I say “Thank You, Sir.” That’s when I get the “mvy sucks” razz.

No comments:

Post a Comment