Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Josh Ritter “The Curse”

What do you think of this track?

I’m trying to decide if this song should go into rotation at mvyradio. I’d love to hear your opinion, because I have split feelings about this song.

Listen once. And listen closely. Don't do anything else while your listening. Really absorb the lyrics and the story.



Lindsey Reid, an independent record promoter who’s talking to me about this song, said something along the lines of (not an exact quote here), that he thinks this is one of the best songs Josh Ritter has ever written.

And I have to agree.

We’re fans of Josh Ritter here at mvyradio. I think his songs really stand out. And Barbara, who interviewed him a few years back, will often say when the name Josh Ritter comes up, “He’s a special guy.” Just a real talent, and seems to be a lovely person.

And, for me, what can lift a song from being good, to great, is to ask, “Could anyone else have written this?” I mean, the story of an archeologist and a mummy, and their life long love? Not many people could pull this song off, sans irony, and have it feel so deep and beautiful.

It’s very, very effect. (And that is one hell of a video, too.)

Okay, now, listen to the song again. But this time, don’t listen closely. Go do something. Write an email to a friend or pay a bill or make a sandwich while the song is on in the background.



Did you find that the song seemed to go on a really long time? Was the piano phrase very, very repetitive, maybe even drone-y? Did the tempo become a little too lulling?

When picking songs for the station, we always talk about the tempo. Will a slow song drag everything down? Songs that feel like they go on too long, are real buzz-kills.

And herein lies an ugly truth. Josh Ritter can write what may be the best song of his career, but because most people are listening to the radio in the background, they may never know it. An active listen to this song, is a real joy. A passive listen to the song does not reveal its wonder.

A great song is not the same thing as a great radio single.

So yes, the converse in another ugly truth: Inane, shallow songs, can make great radio singles, because they are fun to listen to, without having to take your brain away from sending an email or paying a bill or making a sandwich.

But this is MY read on “The Curse.” When you listened passively, did you like it? Were you engaged by it? Should mvyradio be playing it?

5 comments:

  1. I have to agree with the too long; too drone-y comment. It's a wonderful, visual song with some great lines, but I got sick of listening to it on the cd, never mind on the radio.

    I haven't watched the video before, though--nicely done.

    Speaking of Josh Ritter videos, this is cool:

    www.youtube.com/watch?v=TETVSRuRrDI

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like it. I actively listened the first time and was caught up in the story and hypnotic, rhythmic melody. I then listened to it about 6 more times, passively. Is it a little long? Perhaps..at 5 mins it's not the 3:40 piece that we typically hear. I find myself coming into and out of the song as I work, now that I've listened to it many times. I still liked it. I didn't find the tempo too slow or the piano repetitive; rather, I found it soothing, plaintive, a little haunting... If I heard it for the first time on the radio, I would probably stop and really listen to it, as it has such a unique sound and opening.

    It reminds me of something that I'd hear on my local station's Sunday Sunrise program (local is KBCO), where they play "the lighter side of rock" in the morning. I vote for putting it into the MVY line-up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this song SO MUCH. I listened while doing something else and I see what you mean... but it didn't annoy me. It's pleasant to have on in the background. I definitely think it's one of the best written songs I've heard in a long long time.

    Tough call.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT. you ppl are insane. this is one of the most beautiful pieces of music of our time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really late, but I completely agree with the last comment. This is one of the most perfect songs I have ever heard.

    I have listened to it probably a hundred times and I still think it's amazing. I don't get tired of it because I can never remember the lyrics all they way through.

    The first time I heard it was on youtube so I saw the video too. No other song has given me such a strong emotional reaction.

    ReplyDelete