Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Lori McKenna "Leaving This Life"

Despite what you might have gleaned from previous posts, I actually don't cry at songs all that often.

And if I do, it's because:

a) I associate the song with a particular time and place that's sad. Maybe was a song an old girlfriend and I used to listen to, or was a tune that my late sister loved.

Or b) I find something familiar and personal in the lyrics, that touches an emotional chord that is real to me, like the tunes mentioned in those previous posts.

What's extremely rare, is for me to hear a song on the radio, a song I've never heard before, and find myself sobbing.

I was in the car, driving up the Woods Hole Road away from the Steamship Authority, flipping through the radio dial. (Hey, just because I work for mvy, doesn't mean I can't listen to what other stations are doing)

I recognized the voice in a few lines, as Lori McKenna. But it wasn't a track that I was familiar with.

Lori lost her Mom when she was just a child. I didn't know that at the time I heard the song, but I didn't really need to have anyone tell me. The lyrics are just so unbelievably real and raw, how could you not connect to it on a powerful level?

It really was breathtaking, to have something that I had never heard before, and had no association with, hit me so hard. And that's when you know, the writer is doing something right.

1 comment:

  1. stephanie ministerJune 23, 2010 at 8:32 AM

    Well..that is exactly how I feel about all her writing. NICE that you found a little taste too! xo Steph

    ReplyDelete