Friday, June 25, 2010

Duran Duran "Rio"

I'm going to share a terrible, shocking secret. When I tell people this, they really have trouble wrapping their head around it. Maybe you should sit down.

I have never been to Nantucket.

"But, but . . . it's right there! Next to the Vineyard! You can practically sneeze on it!"

Yes. It is the neighboring Island to Martha's Vineyard, but it typifies the old New England saying "Can't get theah from heah."

In the summer, there is only one boat per day between the Islands, and I believe the round-trip starts on Nantucket. So the most realistic way to get from the Vineyard to Nantucket, is to take the Steamship from the Vineyard to Woods Hole, drive an hour to Hyannis, and take the ferry from Hyannis to Nantucket. Then do the reverse to get home. It's the long way, and it eats up a huge part of the day. So I've never gotten around to doing it.

Until now.

My wife has family visiting the Cape, so we are going to Nantucket!

It'll be my first real pleasure cruise of the summer (I don't count SSA trips from the Vineyard to the Mainland; that's commuting to me).

And simply, stupidly, anytime I'm on a boat, I am compelled to sing "Rio." It's Pavlovian. I can't help myself. I can't stop it. I'm sure this has something to do with it.

But hey, I'm going to Nantucket, so I don't really mind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment