Monday, April 26, 2010

Sting "Rock Steady"

So we named our son Noah Ames Finn, and I have to tell you, in the many months leading up to his birth it seemed like we'd never agree on what to call this small thing.

We floated hundreds of ideas between the two of us, my wife and I, and many of them were musical. We tried our favorite musicians and our favorite songs, but nothing seemed quite right.

So many of our musical heroes had names that are too plain (Paul, Bob, Johnny) or too weird (Rufus).

I couldn't sell Levon. My wife wanted (Jeff) Buckley, but I couldn't have a son named Buck Finn.

When she and I each wrote down our top 10 names, there was only one name in common: Noah. And honestly, it was neither of our first choices.

But we lived with it for a while, trying to see if it would grow on us.

Leaving work on my last day before taking time off for the birth of this baby, as I was pulling into the driveway, and Alison played "Rock Steady." I listened to the lyrics.

I won't say that Sting chose my child's name, but I did take the song as a sign that we were going in the right direction.

So he's Noah.

Which is great, because when he's older he can say "Noah Finn way!" which sounds like "No F-ing Way!" That's fun.

And Ames, that's for my sister.



No comments:

Post a Comment