Monday, October 19, 2009

One Eskimo "Kandi"

This one recently went into the mix at mvyradio. What do you think of it?

Did it ring any bells for you? It uses the hook from a song called "He Called Me Baby" by Christian/Dance music legend Candi Staton. It cribs a pretty healthy chunk of the original, but the songs is surprisingly strong.

Do you like this one? Care to hear more of it?

Hear a sample of One Eskimo "Kandi", here.

See the video and hear the whole song for "Kandi," and see Candi Staton do the original, here

Buy the One Eskimo album, here; get Candi's album here

4 comments:

  1. Hi there, I'm Candi Staton's publicist. The link to buy Candi's version of "He Called Me Baby" is not the version that One Eskimo samples. It's actually a very poorly done rec-creation by UK producer Ian levine ten years ago. The version you would want is from Candi's 2004 Honest Jons/EMI compilation. That version was recorded in 1970.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really, really like this song. I heard it for the first time Friday when Barbara played it. I liked it so much that I purchased it on iTunes over the weekend and added it to my "Favorite Songs from MVY" playlist. I'd love to continue to hear it played on air.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh now I get it, the title of this song has been driving me "crazy, crazy all night long". Now with the identity of the sampled singer. Kandi=Candi Staton, it make sense, excellent song! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, this one HOOKED ME immediately upon hearing it on MVY. I immediately bought it on iTunes though I have not bought the rest of the album yet. This song is one of those rare ones that immediately grab me, but, yes, I already said that. Me not know too many words.

    ReplyDelete