Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Smithereens "A Girl Like You"

The line on this song is that it was written specifically for "Say Anything," but the producer felt the lyrics gave away too much of the plot, so it was scrapped from the soundtrack. Probably a bummer for the band at the time, but since it turned out to be their biggest commercial hit, they were most likely psyched that it ended up on their own album.

I had a bass guitar for a few minutes, back in college, when I was surrounded by people who really knew how to play. I usually got tapped to sing, since, by default, I had the best voice. But I wanted to be able to thump on something, so I had a bass. And I'm pretty sure that "A Girl Like You" is the only song I ever learned to play. Not that I didn't try. Oh, the studying hours I lost, trying to figure out "Daytripper." But of the songs in our dorm Oeuvre, this was the only tune I could, well, not master, but at least play competently.

Does that speak ill of this song?

Hear The Smithereens "A Girl Like You"

No comments:

Post a Comment