Friday, July 24, 2009

Jason Mraz “God Rests In Reason (live)”

There are certain women who wear too much make-up, and then you one day see them without make-up and you think, “Wow, she’s much more beautiful without all that schmutz on her face.”

A few years ago, my wife and I went to this music showcase that had ½ a dozen bands, and Jason Mraz was on the bill. I remember that in this old theater in Philly, he asked for quiet and sang his last song without any amplification whatsoever, just filling the room to the rafters with his natural voice.

My wife became an instant fan. I did not.

In the years since, she has tried and tried and tried to convince me that Jason Mraz is really great, and I have remained unconvinced.

I’ve always found his records a little too precious, a little too clever for his own good, and a little too slick.

And while she can point to his recent chart success as a reason to listen to him, I point out that it only proves my point. Slick is a musical version of too much make-up.

So in putting together another slide show of Amy and Adam (see previous post), Tabitha found the perfect song.

Jason Mraz wrote this for, and performed it at, his sister’s wedding.

And when he drops the clever. and he drops the production, and goes back to his unadorned voice, I have to admit, he can create a pretty fantastic song.

Hear Jason Mraz “God Rests In Reason (live)”

See the video Here

No comments:

Post a Comment